Scholarship Name: Oslo International Summer School Scholarships
Provider: Sons of Norway Foundation
Scholarship Amount: $1500
Sons of Norway Foundation offers two scholarships to the Oslo International Summer School annually. Each of the two scholarships is for $1,500. The Sons of Norway Foundation General Fund supports this scholarship through donations, large and small, by memorial donations and gifts by will
Applicants who are applying to Oslo International Summer School, and who are current Sons of Norway members or children or grandchildren of current members, are eligible. Sons of Norway membership must be in effect at least one calendar year prior to application.
• Academic potential/grade transcripts (ACT/SAT)
• Benefit to Sons of Norway and wider Norwegian/American community
• Involvement in school and community activities
• Two letters of recommendation
• Financial need
• Official transcripts may be required once an applicant is tentatively selected.
How to Apply:
Online at www.sofn.com/foundation.
While filling in the online form the applicant will be asked to write an essay, setting forth in 500 words or less how you intend to pursue your career. Indicate your long-term career goals and your involvement in Sons of Norway, youth, community and research activities. Applicants should also state how their course of study will benefit their community and be in accord with the goals and objectives of the Sons of Norway Foundation:
- Promote Improved International Relationships
• Provide People-to-People Enrichment Programs
• Promote Culture Exchange
• Promote Humanitarian Causes
The applicant must obtain three letters of recommendation, describing his or her character and abilities, and an “official copy” of his or her latest high school or college year transcript. These documents must be uploaded in the application portal, which is indicated during the application process. These requirements are no longer accepted via e-mail.
Deadline: March 1
The Sons of Norway Foundation is dedicated to funding activities that preserve and promote Norwegian heritage, positively affect members, and make Sons of Norway communities a more vibrant place to live. Be it through a student’s scholarship for study, a cultural exchange experience, or assisting lodges to provide quality programs and community events – the Sons of Norway Foundation is true to its mission.
Established in 1966, our focus and offerings have grown to include several categories of scholarships and four categories of grants. Our passion is focused on the following areas:
- Creating opportunities for higher education as a means for success.
- Showcasing our unique Norwegian heritage to wider audiences.
- Exploring cross-cultural exchanges.
- Providing humanitarian support to Sons of Norway members who are victims of natural disasters.
We have awarded $1,375,000 in scholarships, $390,000 in grants and more than $500,000 in humanitarian aid.