Title: Norwegian Tutor – Critical Languages Program
Hiring Company: University of Arizona
Company Description: The University of Arizona is one of the nation’s leading public universities, with a long history of academic excellence, research innovation and a student-centered approach. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, the UA is ranked 18th among public universities by the National Science Foundation with annual research expenditures of more than $600 million. With more than 40,000 students, the UA is on the forefront of discoveries – from the depths of space to the medical and genetic mysteries of life, from emerging trends in climate change to the broad complexities of the human condition.
Application Link: https://uacareers.com/postings/11467
Location: Tucson, AZ, United States
Job Type: Part-Time
Application Deadline: None Specified; June 21, 2016 – Begin applicant review process
The Critical Languages Program seeks a Norwegian Tutor to conduct weekly tutorial sessions. The candidate must be a native or near-native speaker of the Norwegian language, able to work professionally with small tutorial sessions and act as a liaison between the students and examiner. Content focus may include Norwegian language, grammar, pronunciation, writing, reading and study skills development.
- Prepare and conduct weekly tutorial sessions in the use/ practice of the Norwegian language.
- Finalize course syllabi with dates and post to D2L. Send to examiner and program coordinator prior to the beginning of the semester
- Provide communication and feedback to students throughout the semester.
- Attend Program trainings and meetings as necessary.
- Record weekly student attendance in D2L.
- Calculate total attendance points and report via D2L before the final exam.
- Schedule classes and submit to program coordinator prior to the beginning of semester.
- Submit evaluations to meet academic deadlines.
- Submit tutor self-evaluation to program coordinator at the end of the academic year.
- Adhere to University code of conduct policies.
- Complete other duties as needed and assigned.
- Willingness to complete free mandatory Tutor as a Foreign Language Certificate training, for those who don’t have a bachelor’s degree and/or degree in education/language related field during the first year of employment.
- Native or near-native fluency in Norwegian as determined by the examiner.
- Proficient in English.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to maintain professional standards.
- Demonstrate leadership experience.
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience of a second-language.
- Bachelor’s degree or certification related to second-language teaching.
How to apply: Apply via university job portal.
Contact information for candidates: