Title: Office Assistant
Hiring Company: University of Washington
Company Description: The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Established in 1909 by the Washington State Legislature, the Department of Scandinavian Studies offers courses in the languages, literatures, history, politics and folklore of Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway and Sweden, and is the home of the Baltic Studies Program. Today the Department of Scandinavian Studies is an internationally renowned center of scholarship and learning.
Location: Seattle, WA, United States
Job Type: Part-Time
Application Deadline: June 30, 2016
Description: The Department of Scandinavian Studies has an outstanding opportunity for a part-time (50%FTE), 9.5 month, Office Assistant 1. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills, will be detail-oriented, interested in growing as an individual, and working as part of a team alongside a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students. This position, supervised by the Administrator, provides general support to the Scandinavian Studies main office. Duties include:
- Act as receptionist for the main office. Answer multi-line telephone; receive and refer visitors (students, staff and the public); respond to inquiries regarding the Scandinavian Department; schedule reservations for department seminar room and equipment.
- Sort and distribute mail, message, records, and office supplies.
- Update notices on social media sites, department website, and bulletin boards; post notices for classes when faculty/TAs are absent.
- Order, receive and maintain inventory of main office supplies.
- Assist with Time Schedule construction.
- Assist with departmental events such as orientation, colloquia, and graduation reception.
- Update routine forms and letters; mail thank you letters to donors.
- Operate office equipment such as computer, calculator, fax machine and copy machine;
- Perform word processing/data tasks using Word, Excel, ACCESS and Publisher.
- Perform related duties as required.
High school graduation or equivalent OR six months of clerical work experience
OR equivalent education/experience.
Familiarity with computer software: Word, Excel, ACCESS and Publisher. Ability to multi-task in a busy work environment and prioritize tasks. Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
Experience with UW Systems such as UW Time Schedule Systems, Data Warehouse, and Advance DB. Have an interest in learning about the Scandinavian and Baltic countries.
How to apply: Apply via job portal.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your “My Jobs” page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.